Are you tired of restlessly tossing and turning all night to find that elusive perfect sleep position? Do you struggle with snoring, back pain, acid reflux, joint pain, or just want a more comfortable way to read or watch TV in bed? If so, an adjustable bed might be the solution that you have been looking for. Let’s explore the features and health benefits of an adjustable bed, from the basics to more advanced functions available on the market.
These fundamental features of most adjustable beds, also referred to as an adjustable base bed, can improve your sleep and comfort night after night.
Adjustable Head and Foot. A fundamental feature of an adjustable bed is the ability to raise and lower both the head and foot sections of the bed independently. This simple yet powerful mechanism allows you to find the perfect position for your needs. Whether you’re looking to alleviate discomfort, reduce snoring, or simply find a comfortable reading or TV-watching position, having control over these adjustments can make a world of difference.
- Pain Relief. Elevate your head or feet to relieve pressure on your back, legs, or other areas, reducing discomfort and promoting relaxation.
- Anti-Snore. Raising the head of the bed helps open your airways to reduce snoring and improve overall sleep quality. Some adjustable base beds offer snore detection that gently adjusts your head position automatically.
- Prevent Acid Reflux. Raising the head of the bed can mitigate symptoms of acid reflux that can disrupt your sleep.
Massage. Many adjustable beds come equipped with built-in massage or gentle vibration for relaxation. These oscillating motors allow you to enjoy a soothing massage at the touch of a button. In most adjustable base beds, this feature resembles a gentle vibration or wave that can be applied to your upper body, lower body, or both, typically offered at three to four speeds.
- Stress Reduction. The gentle massage these beds provide can help you relax, reduce stress, and unwind after a long day.
- Improved Circulation. The massage feature can also enhance blood circulation, which can have positive effects on your overall well-being.
- Aid for Sleep. A relaxing massage can help you fall asleep faster and enjoy a deeper, more restful sleep.
Presets for Customized Articulation. Some adjustable beds come with preset positions, like anti-snore or zero gravity (Zero G®), allowing you to quickly switch to your preferred settings with just a button press. You can also program memory settings to your ideal sleeping or favorite relaxing positions.
- Easily switch between different positions without having to adjust the bed every time manually.
- Optimized Sleep. Pre-programmed positions, like Zero G®, can improve sleep quality by reducing pressure on your spine and muscles.
Lumbar Support. Lumbar support is a feature that provides extra support to the lower back area. It’s especially beneficial for people who suffer from lower back pain. By adjusting the lumbar support feature, you can achieve the perfect level of support for your specific needs.
- Back Pain Relief. Customizable lumbar support can alleviate lower back pain and promote better spinal alignment.
- Improved Posture. This feature can help you maintain a better posture, both when sitting up and lying down.
Wireless Remote Control. Most adjustable beds come with a wireless remote control to adjust your bed’s position or operate bed features with ease. The Dawn House remote is ergonomically designed with large soft-touch buttons that are backlit for use in the dark.
- Independence. With a wireless remote, you gain the autonomy to adjust your bed without relying on assistance.
- Customization. If you share your bed with a partner, you can fine-tune your side of the bed to your sleep preference and make adjustments without disturbing their slumber.
Now, let’s look at some advanced features that set certain adjustable beds apart from the rest.
Sleep Sensors. Integrated into select adjustable bed models, sleep sensors monitor your sleep patterns, heart rate, and respiratory rate while you sleep, compiling data that is translated into sleep and health reports. With these insights, you can adjust your sleep environment, lifestyle, or nightly routine to better your sleep quality and track trends over weeks and months. Depending on the model, wellness metrics can be collected each night for heart rate, breathing patterns, sleep quality, sleep-disordered breathing, and snoring tendencies. And these reports can be shared with healthcare providers and others.
Underbed Lighting. Underbed lighting is a helpful feature for those who need to get up in the middle of the night safely and without disturbing their partner. The motion-activated, soft illumination provides enough light to navigate the room without turning on harsh overhead lights or a side table lamp.
High/Low Adjustment. Beyond the head and foot adjustments, some adjustable beds offer high/low adjustments, meaning you can raise or lower the entire bed. This feature is particularly beneficial for effortlessly getting in and out of bed or for a caregiver to provide assistance without straining their back. For example, the Dawn House bed offers customized height adjustments for the entire bed, with a range from a minimum of 10 inches to a maximum of 16 inches. Add your specific mattress height for the exact height of your configuration.
App Integration. Some adjustable beds offer companion apps, allowing you to manage bed features, fine-tune settings, and track your sleep progress over time. App integration extends the functionality of an adjustable base beyond the traditional remote control. The Dawn House app mirrors the remote-control layout and provides access to your sleep activity and health metrics.
Rise to Wake. This feature allows you to set a specific time for gradual elevation of the head of the bed, serving as an alternative to traditional alarm clocks. Wake up gently and naturally each morning. Say goodbye to your jarring alarm for a more peaceful and refreshing way to wake up.
Zero-G®. The zero-gravity position, inspired by NASA technology, elevates both your head and feet to relieve pressure on your spine and reduce muscle tension. Zero G® elevates your legs and head above your heart, creating a neutral sleep position that effectively alleviates lower back pain.
To find the perfect adjustable bed, explore the features that align with your specific needs, preferences, and budget. By comparison shopping, you can better assess the different models, their functionalities, and compatibility with your sleep requirements. Take your time researching to make an informed decision that ensures a good night’s sleep tailored to your liking.